Echocardiography is an ultrasound examination of the heart and involves no exposure to radiation. At the Toronto Centre for Medical Imaging, echocardiography is available with a wait time that is generally less than 1 week and where you can count on getting the study done with a highly trained technologist using the latest equipment. And you can be rest assured that you will be taken in on time so you can get back to work.
Echocardiography may be ordered by your doctor for any one of a number of reasons. These include:
- Newly discovered murmur by your physician
- Known or suspected narrowing (stenosis) of the heart valves, such as aortic or mitral stenosis
- Known or suspected leakiness (insufficiency/regurgitation) of the heart valves
- Follow up after surgery to replace or repair a heart valve (prosthetic valve assessment)
- Ischemic heart disease to assess the degree to which heart muscle may have been damaged by a previous myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- High blood pressure (hypertension) to look for signs of abnormal stress to the heart such as thickening of the wall
- Abnormality suspected at the time of routine ECG
- Looking for a cause for suspected or proven stroke (emboli or shunts)
- Unexplained loss of consciousness (syncope)
- Irregular heartbeat and palpitations
(Source: British Society of Echocardiography)
If you have a requisition from your doctor and would like to have your echocardiogram done at The Toronto Centre for Medical Imaging, please call our main line at 416 368 8488 to book an appointment. Our friendly front desk staff will be more than happy to accommodate you to the best of our ability.